Sunday, March 17, 2019

Sewing with Kids

I love it when I am able to teach sewing classes to kids.  Last week was Spring Break and kids had some spare time on their hands so I offered a pillowcase making class.  My granddaughter Jill loves to help with my sewing classes and she is a great helper.  We spent one afternoon together running through my lesson plan.  We talked about picking out fabrics, reviewed threading the machine and bobbin and sewing a 1/4 inch seam.  By the end of the afternoon she had made a pillow case and was ready for the class the next day.



The next day three girls took the class and we had a lot of fun together.  Jill was an amazing assistant.  She suggested what the girls might think about when picking out fabric, gave pointers to help with pinning, and using the machine, helped to troubleshoot if there was a problem.  It sure helps to have a good assistant when young people are learning new skills.



In the end, we had a really fun time, and Anna, Kaia, Arial and Jill felt good about their project.

3 comments:

  1. that is pretty neat - I always wish more kids were interested in sewing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathi! This looks so fun - I can almost hear the giggling that ensued from here. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of the pillow cases turned out quite nicely. A great way to teach sewing skills.

    ReplyDelete