Monday, March 18, 2019

Organization Your Creative Space In 6 Steps

How many times have you spent the entire time you planned to create looking for a necessary item?  How many times have you purchased something to use later and put it somewhere and found it after the inspiration has long passed.  How many times have you purchased the perfect item for your next project and put it somewhere, forgotten about it and when you found it again wondered what it was for?  I have done all of these things and more.  

As I have accumulated interests and skills, these things happen more and more often.  In December I purchased 2 new machines and their accessories.  I wrote about it Here and Here.  In January I was away from home for two months and came back to a bunch of stuff I had shoved here and there and had forgotten about.  I spent the first two weeks in March looking high and low for things I needed to do projects. Things like seam rippers, my good scissors, extra pins, you know, important things. I decided enough was enough.  It’ was time to knuckle down and organize my space.  My goal was to be able to find things and to have a place to put new items as I acquired them AND never have to spend precious time looking for things.

 I developed a plan for organizing my stuff that I’d like to share.  I went back to it often as I worked my way through the organization process.  This plan includes these 6 steps.  I will do a post for each step this week.  I hope this helps.

  1. Make a decision about what activities you will do in your sewing or craft room. 
  2. Take an inventory of what you have.  
  3. Identify what items you want to have available;  the items you need every day, things you don’t want to pull out of storage every time you want to use them.
  4. Identify storage spaces, decide if these are appropriate to your storage needs.  
  5. Make a decision about which items to store in each of the storage areas.
  6. Arrange your space according to the plan you have developed and evaluate your decisions.

This is my space.  Don't let the fact that it looks tidy fool you.  Behind every curtain and closet door and in every drawer is a mini disaster.  

Sewing, quilting and class space.

 Embroidery and storage space.

Shop


Find All Of The Posts I My 6 Step Process HERE

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize you ran a shop out of your home - nice to have the fabric so handy

    ReplyDelete