Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Knitting Is The Perfect Travel Activity


What does the passenger do when they ride for 30 hours?  There are a few duties, like finding good radio channels, checking in with the map app to be sure we are on the right road, giving the driver food but for the most part, there’s not much to do but look out the window and enjoy the scenery.  This is at time when knitting skills come in handy.  I started a sock on this trip.  The socks have a fun little cable in the pattern but while we were on the drive, I decided it would be easy to make mistakes in the cable because I was also looking at the scenery and I’d forget my place.  So, I decided to take out all of the cable pattern stitches and knit a rib pattern instead. The cuff was K1, P1, K3, P1 and I just extended this pattern for the sock body.


There were several rows of cable so I couldn’t just unknit them.  I took the needles out and unraveled the cables, eek. 


Then I picked up all of the stitches with three of the needles.  The first pick-up was to get the stitches on the needle and check for any missed stitches.


   Once the stitches were on the needle, I picked each stitch off the needle to straighten them out, pick up any missed stitches and make sure all stitches were complete.

 As we drove, the sock grew.  You can do a of knitting in 30 hours of driving.  This is a simple pattern too so there isn’t any room for mistakes when you stop look out the window, or change the radio station. Maybe I can complete a pair while we are on this road trip.






Linking To:  Slow Sunday Stitching

6 comments:

  1. oh your socks look so good! your skills are beyond me - I used to years ago - hand piece quilts in the car while we traveled but as I got older I found I couldn't do that anymore - it almost made me nauseous for some reason, I do not knit well at all but found I can crochet scarves really well so now I do that when we travel and I am the passenger. sure helps to pass the time while I look out the window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. My grandma was a knitter and I used to love her sweaters and socks and mittens so I became a knitter too. I also crochet but haven't for a very long time. I'm glad you found something you can do as a passenger.

      Delete
  2. Fabulous way to pass some time for sure. What kind of stitch did you do in the heel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to pass the time and you sure made some progress, love the colorway

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am in the process of knitting socks! It's a simple pattern so I can watch tv and knit but I'm not sure I could knit as a passenger. I'm too busy braking while my husband drives (he's not a particularly fast driver either!) love the wool you are using. Hope you get them completed on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to laugh about not knitting as a passenger. That's how I ride too. Knitting keeps my eyes off the road and my foot off the brake peddle.

      Delete