Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Stepping Stones UFO

When I dug into this project, I almost put it back.  Thank goodness I'd posted it as a UFO I planned to finish or I would have returned it to the deep, dark UFO pile.  This pattern is called Stepping Stones by Judy Niemeyer.  I took a three hour class to make this quilt but you know only so much can be done in 3 hours.  There are 3 different blocks titled J, K and L, and you make 12 of each block for the quilt.   The teacher reminded us that we would sew one black strip to block K and I was sure she said to the beginning of the block.  Of course it was the end of the block, the last seam not the first!  I had sewn all 12 K blocks with the black strip first so I had to rip...grrr.  In addition to this mistake I had sewn an extra strip to all of the L blocks, so that had to be ripped too.  

You sew the J, K and L blocks together to make one unit for the setting.  I ripped and sewed to make this unit.  I had to have a little satisfaction at the end of a frustrating sewing day.
I decided on the layout and pinned the blocks together in sets of three.  You can see some of the K blocks have been ripped and just need to be sewn back together, and some still need to be ripped out. I will finish each set, one at a time, which includes more ripping and sewing.  I put this away until next Monday.  Stay tuned.




24 comments:

  1. Hi Kathi! I am so sorry you are being frustrated by this project, but WOWEE it is stunning. That little thumbnail on Susan's website drove me right over here to see this. I can't wait to see it all finished AND you will one less UFO plus a fabulous finished quilt. Hang in there! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Roseanne. I do love it but will be happy when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's going to be gorgeous! I remember seeing something like this from Ardvark quilts years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, such a labor-intensive project but the outcome is totally worth the effort. It looks like sharp combs or over sized fangs to me. It is okay to take a break. I am sure it will be easier when you return to it with fresh eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is labor intensive and I really prefer quick and easy. It's a challenge.

      Delete
  5. I too have a stepping stones unfinished - I used 2.5" strip packs from a line that did not cut accurately and therefore I really have to scrimp and squeeze to get the cuts that I need. I need to get it out of its box and start doing just one block a week - maybe then I can get it finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a lot of scrimping in this pattern too and I cut my own 2.5 inch strips. I don't think it was your strips. You should pull yours out. I'd love to see your colors.

      Delete
  6. I can see why you're putting this off till Monday, especially since it involves un-sewing. But once your done, it'll be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's my Monday project. I have 5 UFO's and I'm working on one per day for an hour.... we will see how that works.

      Delete
  7. You're almost there, and the quilt's going to be beautiful. I've come to the conclusion that developing quilts turn into UFOs because there is a problem with them, sometimes challenging, sometimes frustrating, that kills our enthusiasm. Congratulations on dealing with it's issues and soldiering on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I am realizing this as I work on these UFO's.

      Delete
  8. Those are really cool looking. I hope they stop being so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once they're all ripped and sewn together the frustration will be over....right;-)

      Delete
  9. One of my favs! A similar one is called willows by another designer. One day.......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well it looks like you are making progress and it will be a beauty in the end. Good luck with the rest of the ripping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much ripping....between un-sewing and taking the paper off the back;-)

      Delete
  11. Good for you for sticking with it! You'll be happy you did when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is beautiful. It also looks like one of those quilts that I am glad I made, but would never make again! You are well on your way to getting the top finished, keep up the good work. Thanks for linking with Design Wall Monday.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might make it again...the right way the next time;-)

      Delete
  13. Quilting sure can keep us humble! I have spent more time with my seam ripper than I care to mention, but it's worth it in the end. Your quilt is going to be a beauty! Love all of your bright fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never done a Judy Niemeyer quilt, but more than one person has told me they can be a challenge. Best wishes on "unsewing" the remaining blocks and making some progress on this beautiful WIP. : )

    ReplyDelete