Sunday, September 16, 2018

Jewel - A 10 Inch Square Pattern

Moda Fabrics coined the term Layer Cake when they developed the first 10 inch square pre-cuts.  Other companies began putting their fabric collections together in 10 inch square precut stacks and had to come up with another name for their products.  Many companies just call their product 10 inch squares.  The term Layer Cake has come to mean a bundle of precut 10 inch squares.  

I sell 10 inch square bundles in my shop, Run'n Stitch.  You can find the shop HERE.  There are a bazillion books and patterns for 2.5 inch rolls, but I have found fewer patterns for 10 inch squares.  I am on a quest to develop some patterns to use with my squares.  I think 10 inch squares are great to work with because you can make larger fabric blocks from each square and you aren't confined to 2.5" strips of fabric.  I thought I'd attempt to make classic quilt patterns using 10 inch squares.

This pattern is called Jewel, and is a variation of the Jacob's Ladder quilt block.  I am using a bundle by Kaffe Fassett.  My background fabric is a Kona Cotton.  

This is a tutorial for making the block.  


Step 1 - For 1 block you will need a 10 inch square of the main fabric and a 10 inch square of the background fabric.  


Step 2 - Pair the two with right sides together. Cut the square into (2) 2.5 inch strips and (1) 5 inch strip.


Step 3 - Cut the 5 inch strips into (2) 5 inch squares and cut on the diagonal.


Step 4 - Sew your 2.5 inch strips together and your triangles together.


Step 5 - Cut your 4.5 inch strips into 2.5 inch by 4.5 inch rectangles.  Cut your half-square triangle blocks down to 4.5 inch squares.  You will have (4) 4.5 inch half square triangle blocks and (8) 2.5 inch by 4.5 inch rectangles.


Step 6 - Sew your 2.5 inch by 4.5 inch rectangles together to make a 4 patch block.  You will have (4) 4.5 inch blocks.

I am still working on this quilt pattern so stay tuned for next steps.



7 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing how the block turns out. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interested in the outcome as I have a few 10" packs laying around:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out to be an easy quilt. I'll post it soon.

      Delete
  3. Love Kaffe Fassett but can't afford it. However, I have some 10" bundles of some batik fabric I've been looking for a use for. Looking forward to what you come up with for these blocks. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out my shop, I try to keep my prices reasonable.

      Delete
  4. Hi Kathi! I love your quest and I think it's a worthwhile one. I look forward to seeing your finished quilt top and other blocks that you come up with. I have a couple of layer cakes laying around, gathering dust so to speak. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete