Saturday, September 1, 2018

Jelly Girl Quilt

I own a little fabric shop and I love visiting with quilters and crafters.  I love teaching classes.  I love developing displays.  I love making samples for items in my shop.  But the hardest thing to do, the thing I dread every season,  is picking out fabric other people will purchase.  

Last season I found a collection called 'Blueberry Buckle', which I absolutely loved, and I bought the entire collection.  I believed that the soft blues and mellow tans would make a lovely quilt to bundle up under in front of a crackling fire.   It turns out however, I may be the only person on the planet who loves this fabric... well there is one lady in this town who can't seem to get enough of it either, but she doesn't want 19 bolts.   It's a good thing I love it because I will probably be using it in all kinds of projects.  

The first thing I made with the first full collection of fabric I have ever purchased, was a quilt using a pattern that was used to advertise the collection, Jelly Girl by Fig Tree & Co.   This is a jelly roll pattern. The blocks are made by sewing jelly roll strips together...really.  I put the quilt together and of course I loved it.  



Because the blocks are made out of jelly roll strips, this quilt doesn't take long to put together.  The key for this quilt was finding a fabric for the background that didn't overpower or blend in with the light colors.  I chose a white on off-white and I like the way it offset the blues and tans.




Find this bundle and yardage of all 19 fabrics of the Blueberry Buckle Collection HERE.


Linking to:


22 comments:

  1. You did well on your background choice! My girlfriend and I always used to joke that we'd love to own a quilt shop together but we wouldn't let anyone buy anything and we'd just pet and play with our fabric all day ha! Not so good in real life though... I love Fig Tree fabric and patterns! This one is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny. I love my fabrics. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful fabrics and I really like the quilt you made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a very pretty fabric collection! I love the blues and browns together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great pattern for a fabric collection, and would well for scraps, too! The background fabric is just right :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quilt design choice for your fabrics. It really shows off that collection well. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pattern works so well with the beautiful fabrics. Thanks for linking to Finished or Not Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful quilt. Triangle points can be intimidating or at least unnerving. However you did an excellent job. You must be so proud of this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the beauty of this pattern, the points go together so well because of the way the strips are cut. Thank you Pretty!

      Delete
  9. I'm usually the one that purchases the fabric that no one else is drawn to. I'm not crazy about print fabric but...if I saw a quilt with these fabrics in my local shop I would purchase the fabrics. The quilt looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice back ground pick. Blue fabric lines always make beautiful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a beautiful fabric line, it made up into a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks lovely! Good choice on that background fabric

    ReplyDelete