Thursday, April 10, 2014

Easter Banner Tutorial in 5 Easy Steps



I like the little Easter baskets I made for my granddaughters.  Now I have to fill them with something. I decided to put a little Spring banner, or Easter banner in each one.  Banners are really fun to make because you can put them together pretty quickly.  

I chose a stack of 5 fabrics from Riley Blake's 'Snug as a Bug' collection for Jillian's banner.   Jillian is 4 and she loves pink so this collection is perfect for  her.


Step 1.  Cut a 7" Strip WOF

Step 2- Fold your fabric in half again, lengthwise. You will have 4 layers of fabric.  Using your Kaleidoscope ruler, line the 8-1/2" line with the fold of the strip.

Step 3- Cut the fold with scissors.


Step 4- You will have two flags from each cut. Your pieces will already be wrong sides together.  Zig Zag stitch from the point to the top of one side and then repeat on the other side.  Leave the top open, and press each flag so that it lays flat.  The zig zag stitch will bunch the fabric up a little bit so pressing is important.


Step 5-Pin a folded bias tape to the top of the flags, being sure the fold encloses the raw-edges of the top of the flag. Be sure you have about a 12" tail at each end of the banner.  Sew.



This is what your banner will look like.  



For Audrey's banner I used a stack of 5 fabrics from Riley Blake's 'Twice As Nice' Line.  




Instead of cutting using my ruler and rotary blade,


I drew a line around the ruler using disappearing ink


And then, using pinking sheers, I cut along the line.


After cutting, I sewed a straight stitch from the point of the flag to the top on both sides of the flag.  I put the banner together using red bias tape.


This little banner will go into Audrey's Easter Basket.



These baskets need one more item.  I think I have an idea of what it will be.  Stay tuned.


Linking to:




18 comments:

  1. Cute banner! I love the fabrics you used. Thanks for sharing your tutorial - pinning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi and thanks so much for compliment on the dishcloths I crocheted. I love your Easter banner that you made! It's perfect for Easter!
    Julieat Jukie's Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathi, This is such a cute banner. Love the fabric choices :) Thanks for linking up to my Friday T.G.I.F. party. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. super cute!! thanks for linking up to Create Link Inspire. I've featured you this weekend. http://nap-timecreations.com/2014/04/10-spring-fabric-projects.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. So simple, so easy, yet great impact! I'd love to see you join us at the Inspire Us Thursdays! link party at www.theinspiredwren.com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your kind words, and I'd love to join you on Inspire Us Thursdays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky Grand daughters, hope they love their banners. What a nice Granny you are.You didn't say how old you g'd's are. How do you get fabric, etc. do you have to have everything shipped to you.
    I"d so love to be able to visit Alaska. You must be even more isolated being on an island. How long have you lived there? We always love to watch the shows about Alaska, there's one about a family that have an airport and shuttle service with several other pilots, the daughter has even learned how to fly. I'll have to look where they are in Alaska. I'm a bit of an adventurer, like to do different things, see places, meet people, see how they live. We've moved a few times in our 45 yrs. of marriage, best place was 20 acres out on a lake in MT., I'd go back there in a heart beat, loved the people there. Are you alone alot or are there other people where you live?
    I Love your pennants, the fabrics and colors are gorgeous.Think I need to subscribe to your blog. Would love to hear about your life. Happy days If ypu reply please do so to: FurryKidzPaperworx@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alaska is a wonderful place to live! I hear it is also a wonderful place to visit. You must come, you will truly enjoy it. Congratulations on 45 years of marriage! A true accomplishment. We live in Southeast Alaska, on Alaska's "panhandle' just West of British Columbia. I see BC from my window. There are about 3000 people in my town, on my little island. I have a couple of little Etsy shops. I sell fabric and hand made items at https://www.etsy.com/shop/RunnStitch and Christmas craft items at https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChristmasJul. My little Jill is 4 years old and my little Audrey is 6 months old. Do you have Grandchildren? I am off to visit your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I see, you don't have a blog, you have a gmail acct.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the fabric! So bright and cheerful!

    Thanks so much for sharing your creativity on at our Show-Licious Craft & Recipe Party! Hope to see more of your projects again on Saturday morning!

    ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the invite;) I'll be there Ashley.
      Kathi

      Delete
  11. This is super cute! I love that it's made of fabric so it can be reused for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this - it is so pretty. Thanks so much for linking sharing this with the Friday Frenzy!

    ReplyDelete