Thursday, April 24, 2014

A Red Table



When my husband and I built our home in 1987, we went on a little shopping spree in Seattle and found furniture.  Most of the furniture we bought in 1987 is long gone but this sofa table remains.  It is perfect for holding plants on our landing. 


It is pretty dated and worn though.


This is a job for Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  I posted my first Annie Sloan project, my Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Kitchen at the beginning of the month.  Truth be told, I painted my kitchen last year.  This year when I went through Centralia, Washington I purchased five more quarts of Annie Sloan paint at Attic Door Vintiques.  I found more blue, yellow, red, lavender, and off white.  I was ready for anything.    

The tools I needed for this project were, Windex and a cloth, paint, a paint stirrer, a plastic container, a paint brush and a plastic measuring cup.  The top of the table was ratty so I needed to sand it a little bit.  I washed the table with a few spritzes of Windex and the cloth.  I gave it a little sanding and the it was ready for painting.




There was a specific red I wanted for this table and the Attic Door stockist told me I would need to mix equal parts Emperor's Silk and Emile.  I used the measuring cup for this.  It was messy!

  
I wasn't sure about this pink, but I soldiered on.


I really wasn't sure about the pinkish color when I finished the table.  It didn't look anything like the color on the dresser I'd fallen in love with at the Attic Door, but, I continued on.  It was nice to have all the junk covered up.  And anything would be an improvement.



The secret was in this little can.  Dark wax made my table look exactly the way I wanted it to.  


Isn't it pretty and shiny!


Didn't the color turn out great!





When the geranium and African violets are in bloom, it will look even more lovely!


Linking Up With:

19 comments:

  1. You have done an awesome job restoring this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your table's red adds such a nice bit of color to that spot - and a great contrast to the beautiful greens of the plants. I would not have thought to cover the wood (I like wood!) but it really works. Thank you for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like the way it turned out too.
      Kathi

      Delete
  3. Awesome looking table! Love the red too! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! I LOVE the color!!! I haven't tried dark wax yet, but it's really amazing how much it transforms the color. Looks beautiful Kathi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would never have thought that putting wax on would change the color like it did! I love the color and have never been able to achieve it, thank you for sharing, now I know how!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was surprised at the difference when I put the dark wax on. Good luck with your project.

      Delete
  6. Wow! Great job with the restoration. The red looks fabulous!!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  7. It turned out so good! Actually the whole corner looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It will look even better when the plants start blooming;)
      Kathi

      Delete
  8. Wow, the table came out gorgeous! Love the color!

    ReplyDelete