Wednesday, April 16, 2014

A Little Easter Bag



I have finished the little Easter baskets for my granddaughters.  Both girls have a sweet little fabric basket with an Easter banner.  In addition, Audrey's basket has a cute little bib I made with the leftover pieces of banner fabric.  Jill's now has a little Easter bag that I made with the leftover pieces of her banner fabric.


First I made a little sheet of fabric.  For more information about how to do this CLICK HERE.

                            

 I used a pattern from The New Handmade by Cassie Barden to make this little bag.  Please note...I respect the the copyright and am only noting things I did to change the published pattern.  You will need to purchase this book to complete this specific pattern.  You can purchase this book at the link above.

I decided to do a little quilted bag so rather than putting the interfacing on the lining as directed in the pattern, I did the following:

1.  Cut the fabric as directed in the pattern.


 2. Cut the lining pieces.  This was leftover from the fabric basket I made.


 3.  Make a fabric 'sandwich' with the top, batting and backing.


4.  Find a fun thread.


 5.  I attached my BSR.  The fabric had bubbles so I decided to do a quick little bubbly pattern.


 6.  Trim the pieces.

7.  Cut the zipper down to size.  I get zippers at garage sales and thrift stores so I rarely have one that's the necessary length in the color I need.  You can cut your zipper down by zig zagging a stop where you want the zipper to stop and then cutting the remaining bit off.  I only do this with plastic zippers.



8.  Pin the zipper right side up to the right side of the lining, matching the edge of the zipper to the raw edge of the lining fabric.  Using your zipper foot,  sew in place.


 9.  Lay the little bag fabric on top of the zipper, right side down. Pin and sew.


10.  Do the same thing to the other side of the zipper.  You can get detailed instructions in the pattern book.  

11.  Add a little bling.  Before sewing the little bag together, I added some beads.  I just sprinkled them around randomly.  I always tie a knot after every 3rd bead-at the back and continue on.  I don't cut after tying.  That way if a bead gets pulled off, all the beads don't come off.


12.  Finish the bag as directed in the pattern. 



Linking to:

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful Easter bag! Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing! I have been wanting to make a bag like this for a while! Love the bag and basket..

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so easy to make and the book I referenced has perfect instructions. Thank you for stopping by.
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Easter bag and bib. You have been busy! Thank you so much for your visit to my Sew Fresh Quilts blog today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorna! Your quilts sure are beautiful!
      Kathi

      Delete
  5. Sweet bags! Happy Easter and thank you for linking up to SEWjo Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim. I love your party, thank you for hosting it.
      Kathi

      Delete
  6. That's so cute! I love the colorful fabric and the quilted style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The fabric is really sweet. Perfect for my sweet granddaughter;)
      Kathi

      Delete
  7. What a fun little bag and I love the way you designed it! Thank you for sharing it with us. I pinned it to the party board. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. so sweet :-) By the way I tried to reply to the comment you left on my blog and you are a no-reply blogger :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for the heads up....Now to figure out how to be a 'reply' blogger. I'm new and there are so many things to learn.

      Delete
  9. So pretty! Thanks so much for sharing it at the Friday Frenzy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So darling! Great choices. Thanks for linking up to Inspire Us Thursday on The Inspired Wren.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! This post is going to be featured over at Diana Rambles tomorrow and has been pinned in the Featured at Diana Rambles board at Pinterest, Tweeted, and Recommended on G+. Please grab a featured button off my sidebar or via the link under the features. Thanks for sharing this awesome bag.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Diana!! I will check it out. I am on G+ but know nothing about it. There is so much to learn. Happy Friday.
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete