Friday, October 3, 2014

Quilt Retreat

For many years, a group of women and I would meet two times a year at a cabin in the woods for a 3 day quilt retreat.  We picked days in the Spring and in the Fall that would work for all of the participants.  We visited, watched movies, ate good food and QUILTED.  I have since moved away from the community, and although I attended a few more times after moving, it became too cumbersome to get away to travel and attend the retreat.  The lucky thing was, during one of our block exchanges, I asked each of the members of the group to make a house block that represented them.  I wanted to look at the block and know who made it.  I put the blocks together to make a retreat quilt.  
This is the cabin, with it's three big windows that gave us a view of the icy water below.  I put this block in the middle and surrounded it with flying geese, blueberries and evergreen trees.
I can look at these blocks and think about Jeri and her dragonflies, Connie, me, Judy, DJ, Jan.  DJ gave me a little piece of fabric with a airplane like the one my husband flies when she gave me her block.  I incorporated it into my block in the quilt.
 Kathy with a y, Val, Karen, Krissy, Shirley, and Edith Ann.
I will never forget these ladies, or the fun times we had in that little cabin in the woods.

Linking To:
Fabric Frenzy Friday Can I get a Whoop Whoop Link A Finish Friday Weekend Link Party Anything Goes Mondays Craftastic Mondays Sew Cute Tuesday Freemotion By the River Fabric Tuesday Let's Bee Social

10 comments:

  1. I can't find an email for you on your profile (I don't google+). I mailed your sewing machine block (DOD Mystery) yesterday. It should arrive on Monday. My youngest son moved to Alaska the end of December.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathi, it's beautiful! What a wonderful way to have remembrances of your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice Kathi. Nice way to remember your friends too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! It's a shame you're too far to go on the retreat now but lovely to have this as a reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been planning (in my mind) to make a house quilt for a long time...collected patterns etc. But have not gotten it exactly as I want...yours gives me a style to think about. followed you from ANything GOes Monday

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how this quilt represents your friends. What a lovely way to remember them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fitting tribute. This sweet quilt will keep the memories alive! Thanks for sharing, Kathi.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Your quilt is beautiful! I love how there is so much to see and lovely colours! Greetings from GREECE! Teje

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful way to hold on to memories and friends. Beautiful
    Angel

    ReplyDelete