Wednesday, August 6, 2014

A Quilt For Eric

My nephew and his wife are having a little boy next month and I have been thinking about making a quilt for the little guy.  I've been thinking about it for a long time, and the months just keep creeping by.  I looked at the calendar and realized I'd better get cracking.  September is right around the corner. 
I chose Snips and Snails by Riley Blake.  The pattern I chose was a simple one, one that I could finish quickly.  I used my Accuquilt Go to cut the pieces.  I needed four 6-1/2" squares of three different fabrics.  I cut a 7" strip of three different fabrics.  I folded each strip and placed it on my cutting die and cut all 4 squares from each strip at one time.  I did this with each of the three fabrics.  Layering fabrics and cutting them with your rotary cutter is just as effective, however, I think the Accuquilt was faster and the squares had more accurate measurements.

I cut nine 4" strips of white fabric and nine 4" strips of blue striped fabric.  I cut these strips into 288  triangles with the 3-1/2 (3-7/8") cutting die.  
I sewed the triangles together to make (144) 3-1/2" squares.
I sewed together 48 sets of these blocks.
I sewed half of these strips to opposite sides of all 12 blocks.
I added the remaining 3-1/2" squares to the other half of the two block strips as shown below.
I sewed these to the other two sides of the squares.  The 12-1/2" block looks like this.
Then I sewed the blocks together to make the top of the quilt.  Next I will put the border on and quilt it.  The pressure is on to finish this quilt.

Linking To:


17 comments:

  1. What an adorable quilt! I love the way the white background makes a secondary pattern like a basketweave or a crosstitch, and That Snips and Snails Line is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what fun fabrics!! That is a great pattern and a really sweet baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. It is such an easy pattern. Good for that quilt that needs to be finished quickly.

      Delete
  3. Such a sweet quilt and so suited for a boy. I love the design! Nice to see you putting your AccuQuilt cutter to good use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the great party Lorna! I need to use my AccuQuilt more.

      Delete
  4. Kathi, this is a really great quilt for featuring a cute fabric like those owls! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's looking great, gorgeous fabric and such a clever design - I love how hsts are so versatile and can create so many hugely different quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very cute, a great little boy's quilt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the design, HSTs are the bomb, aren't they ?~! I just did one for my hubby with 208 of the little buggers in it. It was a ball watching him press them and then lay out the design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! Love the block design and the that animal fabric is cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an easy quilt to make. Thank you!

      Delete