Saturday, April 5, 2014

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Kitchen



My husband and I were seriously considering a kitchen remodel.  We built our house in the late 1980's and hadn't changed the kitchen at all.  Needless to say it was very dated.  The cupboards are oak, you know the kind they put in homes in the '80's.  The floors are oak, which still looks nice.  The counter tops are white formica....really.   The more we talked about kitchen ideas, the more daunting the thought of a remodel became.  We had just remodeled the bathroom and my husband wanted to wait a year before diving into another project.  So I decided to paint the cupboards.  I told him that the kitchen couldn't look any worse than it did.

Before

I had been reading about Annie Sloan Chalk Paint on Pinterest.  I was intrigued because if you use this paint, you don't have to prime or sand.  This was my kind of paint.  I went to Home Depot to find it.  The people at Home Depot directed me to the chalk board paint, which was not what I wanted.  They had never heard of chalk paint so,  I went back to Pinterest.  I learned that Annie Sloan sells her paints through 'Stockists' around the country.  I had to find a stockist if I was to get the paint.  I looked on-line for a list of stockiest for Washington State, because I was going to be going through Washington.  I found a stockiest in the most adorable shop, Attic Door Vintiques, in Centralia, Washington.

My favorite color is blue so I decided to be bold and get blue paint.  I purchased 3 quarts of Greek Blue


and a quart of Aubusson Blue.

I also purchased a can of clear wax and a can of dark wax, a paint brush and a wax brush.  I was ready.  I'm wasn't sure for what...

I mixed the two colors together in equal parts, 1 cup of Greek Blue and 1 cup of Aubusson Blue at a time, and painted my cupboards.  When I was finished with all of the cupboards I had 2-1/2 cans of Greek Blue and a half a can of Aubusson blue left.  A little goes a long way.

All I had to do to prep them was wash them with windex.  There as no sanding, no priming, just painting.  I painted each cupboard with 2 coats.  Oh, and they paint dries in about 20 minutes so you can re-coat right away.  After the paint dried, I waxed them good with the clear wax.  My husband spray painted the hinges silver and I bought hardware for the cupboards and drawers.  The entire project took less than 1 week.

After

I also purchased a white dishwasher so all of my appliances matched.  




We still have white formica but it seems to fit.








Linking to Funky Junk-PJ233 Upcycled Link Party; Wicked Awesome Wednesday; Show and Tell Friday;

9 comments:

  1. Holy Cow! Your kitchen cabinets look FABULOUS! That blue is the perfect color for my half bath makeover I'd like to start soon. Where did you purchase the chalk paint?

    I would love for you to share this {and your other projects} at my Show-Licious Craft & Recipe Party! The party starts Saturday morning at 8:00 am EST.

    ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley,

      I found the chalk paint in Centralia, Washington. You can find the stockiest near you here.... http://www.anniesloan.com/acatalog/North_American_Stockists.html

      Thank you for the kind words and I'm off to Show-Licious;)

      Delete
  2. Love that blue color. Those cabinets look gorgeous! I should use that paint color one day. Found you at My Romantic Home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kahli! I am happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did an amazing job and the color is perfect with the white appliances and counter tops!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!!! Wow!!!! What a wonderful change that makes!!!!! Very pretty!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing what a coat of paint can do for a room:)

      Delete