Monday, December 2, 2013

A Christmas Quilt


A few years ago, my mom gave me a couple of yards of poinsettia fabric some beads and a couple of Pamela Mostek quilt books for my birthday.  I fell in love with Pamela's quilting methods.  I generally don't use one quit pattern to make a quilt.  I like to take ideas and inspiration from several places before I begin a project.  Using both books, Scatter Garden Quilts and Dazzling Quilts, I planned a Christmas wall hanging to make with the fabric and beads my mom gave me.


This is how the quilt turned out.  


I used scraps for the background.  What a great way to use 2-1/2" squares and half square triangles left over from a previous project or projects.  Notice that I used cream for the background and green for the wreath shape.  When I was finished sewing the quilt top together it looked pretty boring.

I cut out a bunch of different sized poinsettia's and things from the fabric my mom gave me and placed them around the green wreath on the quilt top and tacked them down.  Then I used what was left of the poinsettia fabric and made a border.  I then put my quilt together and quilted it.  I made sure to do a little extra quilting around the poinsettias and leaves.  I didn't use wonder under or steam a seam on this quilt.  It's really raw edge.  Then I embellished with beads.  







 This was a fun quilt to make.  It took lots of time to put those little beads on but I sure liked the result.


1 comment: